Fish oil is a natural food supplement that is extracted from the liver of large sea fish (mainly cod). It is found in large quantities in mackerel, stellate sturgeon, burbot, sturgeon. They also distinguish fish oil – it is extracted directly from fish meat, and not its liver, and is considered a more useful and expensive substance.
Fish oil is good for adults and children. It is able to increase immunity, reduce stress, improve the cosmetic condition of the skin, hair and nails. The supplement contains vitamins vital for the body, which have therapeutic and prophylactic properties.
In order for fish oil to bring only benefit, and not harm, it should be taken correctly:
- Before use, it is necessary to pass tests to make sure the importance of taking the drug.
- Adults are recommended to take fish oil up to 2000 mg per day (about 2-4 standard capsules of 500 mg), divided into 3-4 doses.
- In case of an overdose, fish oil can be harmful to women and men, and especially to children.
- Adults are recommended to drink fish oil in capsules, children are allowed to use in liquid form.
The supplement is extremely beneficial for humans. Its regular use can cure existing ailments and prevent future ones. But, like any product, it has its pros and cons. The relative disadvantages of the tool include:
- unpleasant specific smell;
- not instantaneous, but cumulative effect;
- unpleasant taste when consumed in pure form;
- a large list of contraindications.
If you drink fish oil correctly, you will experience only a positive effect on the body. A pleasant bonus will be the cosmetic effect of the application of the additive: shiny hair, strong nails and radiant skin.
Fish oil ingredients
Fish oil is of great benefit to the human body precisely in connection with its composition and the vitamins it contains. In addition to phosphorus, iodine and bromine, which are also invaluable, the main composition of fish oil includes:
- Vitamin A. Protects against oncology, increases immunity and vision, increases the regeneration of skin tissues and mucous membranes, accelerates metabolism.
- Vitamin D. Provokes the absorption of phosphorus and calcium, is involved in the construction and strengthening of bone tissue.
- Omega 3. Throughout life, a person consumes a lot of fatty acids, including omega-6. It is found in animal foods and vegetable fats. It is believed that modern man consumes it in abundance. And Omega-3 acid is rare in our diet, although it has an extensive list of benefits: it accelerates the body’s processes, heals microtraumas, restores blood pressure, and reduces the risk of many diseases. Omega-3 and linseed oil are practical sources among the products in which it is made.
- Antioxidants. Their main function is to slow down the aging process and protect cells from the negative effects of radicals.
The chemical composition of fish oil is beneficial not only for health, but also in cosmetology. This is one of the few additives with such a wide spectrum of action.
Types and methods of manufacture
Fish oil can be divided into three groups:
- red (used for production purposes);
- yellow (in purified form it is used in the field of medicine);
- white (exists as a dietary supplement).
Fat is obtained in several ways:
- Factory way. Fish is caught, after which the liver is immediately removed and placed in a special boiler with a temperature of up to 50 ° C. Under the influence of high temperatures, fat begins to stand out on its own. Subsequently, the remaining mixture settles at sub-zero temperatures to obtain white fat. When repeating these manipulations after some time, the fat thickens. Thus, red and yellow varieties are mined.
- Amateur way. This method is used by fishermen who do not have factory equipment, who want to make an additive on their own. After the fish are caught, they are stored and boarded up in barrels, they wait several weeks. After a month and a half, a barrel is opened – fat flows out of the fish on its own.
- Fish oil. The method of its manufacture is different from the previous ones. This oil is not extracted from the liver of a fish, but from its muscle tissue. It is in this fat that contains the most valuable additive for human health – Omega-3.
The difference between fish oil and fish oil
Both types of fat are used by humans as a dietary supplement and have a similar composition. However, fish and fish oil have significant differences:
- Preparation method. Fish oil is obtained from the muscle tissue of fish, while fish oil is extracted from the liver.
- Taste and smell. Fish oil has a characteristic unpleasant odor and taste, which is especially pronounced if the additive is made in the form of syrup and is consumed in its purest form. Fish has a muffled odor and is almost tasteless.
- Price. Fish oil is made from the liver of fatty fish, and fish oil is made from muscle tissue, which is harder to extract. In general, the method of processing fish oil is much cheaper, and therefore it costs significantly lower than fish.
When buying a nutritional supplement, be sure to pay attention to what fat it is made from. Fish muscle fat is commonly referred to as “fish” or “ichthyene” oil.
Fish oil in capsules is more beneficial for the human body than in another form. This is due to the fact that its composition mainly includes oils and fatty acids, which are oxidized by contact with air. The hermetic shell of the capsules impedes this process, which affects the good absorption and long-term preservation of beneficial properties.
The body needs fish oil not only for normal functioning and maintaining health, but also for well-being, mood and a favorable cosmetic effect.
Capsule-shaped fish oil has many useful properties:
- strengthens muscle tissue and promotes its growth;
- affects the hormones of stress and aging;
- prevents the occurrence of cancer;
- lowers the risk of diabetes;
- improves eyesight;
- benefits the female reproductive system;
- improves brain activity;
- positively affects the condition of nails, skin and hair;
- envelops and protects the mucous membranes of the stomach and intestines;
- lowers cholesterol;
- helps in the treatment of diseases of the cardiovascular system.
Due to its medicinal properties, fish oil is able to reduce the risk of such serious diseases as atherosclerosis, obesity, dementia, diabetes mellitus, and cancer. It should be drunk as a prophylaxis that can protect the body and prevent disease. When used according to the instructions, taking fish oil has an extremely positive effect on the body. However, with an excess of supplements or improper use, harm to the body (primarily the liver) can be done instead of good.
One of the most beneficial properties of fish oil is its beneficial effect on the heart. This is manifested both in protecting the body from certain diseases, and in contributing to the treatment of existing ones. The effect of the drug on the cardiovascular system:
- prevention of heart and vascular diseases;
- strengthening the circulatory and cardiac systems;
- help in the treatment of atherosclerosis;
- an increase in the number of lipoproteins;
- sedative effect, decreased heart rate.
Reception of fish oil is not a panacea, and he will not be able to act as the only medicine in the fight against such serious ailments as heart disease. However, this tool is suitable for preventive purposes, which, if used according to the instructions, will bring only benefit.
Benefits to the nervous system
Another positive effect associated with the intake of fish oil is considered benefits for the nervous system in the form of the following factors:
- mood stabilization;
- improved perception and concentration;
- strengthening the nervous system, which helps to calm;
- getting rid of stress.
In addition to the nervous system, supplementation has a positive effect on brain function. It was noted that with its regular use, a person’s brain activity rises, concentration of attention improves, productivity and memory increase.
Proper intake of fish oil implies a course of about a month with subsequent breaks in a couple of weeks. It is best to take the supplement from May to September, since it is at this time that the body is ready to absorb the element completely. Use according to the instructions will give you confidence in a positive effect.
The benefits of immunity
The benefits of fish oil for the body are expressed not only in the therapeutic effect, but also in the ability to temper and protect it from bacteria. The supplement is recommended to be introduced into the diet from autumn to spring. It is at this time that the human body is subject to vitamin deficiency and needs additional reinforcement with vitamins and minerals.
The intake of fish oil has the following effect:
- compensates for the lack of vitamin D in the autumn-winter period;
- strengthens barrier mechanisms;
- boosts immunity;
- helps in overcoming viral diseases;
- creates a comprehensive protective barrier against bacteria.
The use of fat can cheer up, thanks to the vitamins A and D contained in it, which is also useful for immunity. A burst of energy sets the body in the right mood and allows it to deal with seasonal diseases.
Indications for use
Fish oil capsules are recognized as a dietary supplement, which should be used to improve the functioning of the body. This is not a medicine, so you should not expect to get rid of diseases from it. The supplement is able to support the body during periods when it needs outside help, and also bring benefits in the form of improved overall well-being and internal processes.
The indications for taking fish oil include:
- weakness, trouble sleeping;
- frequent mood swings;
- fragility of hair and nails;
- need for supplement according to analyzes;
- poor condition of the skin;
- use as a prophylaxis;
- support for a growing body.
Children under 12 years old are especially in need of supplementation, as they need additional nourishment for the growth of cells and muscles. In this case, fish oil is most effective. In addition to ingestion, fat can be applied locally, which contributes to the treatment of certain skin diseases (wounds, burns, eye diseases).
Doctor’s opinion about the rules of admission and the positive properties of fish oil.
When consuming fish oil, it is important not to exceed the dosage: not more than 2000 mg per day for adults.It is also worth paying attention to contraindications: fish oil is not recommended for people with allergies to the components of a natural remedy, during pregnancy, diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, urethra or respiratory tract.
Effects on children and during pregnancy
Fish oil is useful for women, as it contains components that favorably affect female hormones, microflora, and reproductive functions. However, pregnancy and lactation are a period when the benefits of using such funds are in question. This is due to the accumulation of salts of heavy metals, which can doubtfully affect the health of the expectant mother and child, as well as individual characteristics. Before using fat, be sure to consult your doctor to be sure that the drug will not harm you.
Children under 12 years of age are advised to consume fish oil in capsules and in the form of syrup. The supplement plays a significant role in supporting a growing body, possessing the following properties:
- strengthens bones and muscles thanks to calcium;
- improves blood supply to the brain due to the high content of fatty acids;
- is a natural sedative;
- boosts immunity;
- improves vision thanks to vitamin A.
Children are prone to viral diseases, and the supplement will also help in this matter: fish oil can help in the treatment of such diseases in the initial stages. Parents should not forget about the benefits of nutritional supplements for children and be regularly examined by doctors to identify and compensate for the lack of vitamins.
To avoid side effects, before using fish oil, it is recommended that you carefully pay attention to contraindications for use. As a rule, side effects are directly related to an excess of substances in the body, accompanying diseases or individual intolerance to the components.
List of contraindications for taking fish oil:
- liver and kidney diseases;
- allergic to the components of the supplement;
- urinary tract diseases;
- high levels of vitamin D in the body;
- digestive stones;
- pulmonary tuberculosis;
- stomach ulcer;
- high calcium content.
In these diseases, taking the supplement without prior consultation with a doctor is strictly impossible, this can lead to a worsening of the condition. In liver diseases, the components of fish oil are not recommended even individually.
There is a list of relative contraindications to the use of funds, in the presence of which the supplement should be taken with caution:
- chronic diseases;
- recent surgery;
- fresh deep cuts or wounds;
- pregnancy and lactation;
- acute jade.
Preparations with fish oil
In order for fish oil in capsules to bring only benefit, and not harm, pay attention to the manufacturer of the drug when buying. It should be recognizable, belong to the middle price segment and contain quality marks and documents confirming the authenticity of the composition of vitamins.
Popular brands of fish oil
|Company name||The country of manufacture||Features|
|Solgar||America||safe composition; suitable for use during pregnancy.|
|Carlson labs||America||Designed for women and men over 50.|
|California Gold Nutrition||America||krill fat extract; contains flavoring agents.|
|Sports research||America||one of the best supplements for athletes.|
|Lysy||Norway||winner of world drug contests.|
|Doppel herz||Germany||contains a complex of vitamins and minerals.|
|Teva||Russia||odorless and tasteless.|
|Möller||Finland||contains additional trace elements.|
|Nature’s way||America||allows you to build muscle mass.|
|Liquid fish oil|
|Biopharma||Norway||fruit flavor; the presence of an international certificate of quality.|
|Eco plus||Russia||can be given to children from 1.5 years.|
|Profilaktone||Iceland||shark oil; pleasant fruity taste.|
People often underestimate the benefits of nutritional supplements. Their contribution to health is invaluable, especially compared to ease of use. Modern capsule release forms make life easier, because to get the daily rate, you just need to drink the prepared tablet twice a day. If you do not like the taste of the supplement, you can drink water with fish oil – this will help brighten up the discomfort.
How to choose the right drug
In order to choose a suitable fish oil for you in a variety of offers, follow these rules:
- Decide on the desired form of release (tablets, syrup, balls) according to personal preference.
- Pay attention to drug manufacturers. Give preference to a recognizable brand.
- Find out the dosage you need. In its liquid form, fish oil is not as widespread as it is in the form of tablets, and it is mainly intended for children, therefore it has a reduced dosage.
- Consult with your doctor first, he can recommend quality drugs.
- Girls can choose a supplement with a high content of vitamins for an additional cosmetic effect.
When taking fish oil in capsules, carefully monitor what content of substances is present in them. Depending on the manufacturer, the dosage of the product may vary. If fish oil is not indicated for medical reasons, consult your doctor first.
How to use
The method of using fish oil is simple: the products are available in the form of capsules or syrup, which should be consumed with water several times a day. However, depending on the form of release of the drug used, there are different rules for admission:
- Fish oil in capsules is taken in an amount of not more than 3 tablets per day (daily dose – up to 2000 mg). Take the drug after meals (use on an empty stomach negatively affects the state of the gastrointestinal tract). The course of taking fish oil is 3-4 weeks, after which you need to take a break for half a month. Fish oil should be consumed from October to May, which is when the body needs it most. Capsules are also suitable for the elderly.
- Liquid form. Dosage of fish oil in the form of syrup for adults – 3-5 times a day for a tablespoon (17 grams at a time). Children – up to 3 tablespoons of fish oil per day. The supplement should be taken according to the instructions, optimally – two weeks in two.
Due to its properties, the product is listed in the Russian Medicines Register (RLS). Fish oil is widely used for preventive and medicinal purposes, it helps to maintain immunity and normalize the body.
Fish oil is rich in many vitamins and elements, but its greatest value is in fatty acids. It is made from such marine fish:
Fat has a high concentration of omega-3 acids, which are not enough in food. They should be used additionally, not forgetting the correct dosage. For maximum effect, you need to take fat in the cold season to compensate for the lack of vitamins.
In plant and animal food there are sources – analogues of fatty acids and vitamins:
- linseed oil;
- oily fish;
The supplement in capsules is convenient in that when it is used, a person immediately receives the necessary dose of elements. Doctors recommend including fish oil in diets and taking in everyday life.
Replenishing the diet with a fish oil supplement, you contribute to your health and beauty. Do not forget about regular consultations with doctors and periodically take tests to determine in time the body’s need for the drug.